Angelina Jolie reveals she had double mastectomy to prevent cancer

Angelina Jolie has revealed she has had preventative double mastectomy earlier this year after a blood test showed she was genetically susceptible to cancer.

Mastectomy is the medical term for the surgical removal of one or both breasts, partially or completely.

The actress made the decision to undergo the procedure in February after learning that she is a carrier of the BRCA1 cancer gene defect that increases risk of developing cancer that killed her mother.

The Salt star said she went through a series of medical procedures from February- April 2013 to have her breasts removed and then reconstructed.

In an editorial piece for the New York Times entitle ‘My Medical Choice’, Jolie said she decided to take the measure after learning she had a 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

1 comment:

  1. Good day I am so excited I found your site,
    I really found you by accident, while I was browsing
    on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just
    like to say kudos for a incredible post and a all round exciting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great job.

    Feel free to visit my site; todoaragoncom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Kindly use the below form to drop your comment:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Clicksomemore.